If you have come to hate snow because of the chore of clearing it, the time has come for a proper snow blower. Maybe you already own a less powerful model, like an electric power shovel for walkway clearing, and it’s just not enough for larger areas or the heavy duty clearing jobs after a snow storm.
Or worse, you’re still breaking your back shoveling snow by hand. Either way, there are a lot of options out there if you’re ready to upgrade your snow removal capabilities.
In this test, we take a look at the Husqvarna ST224P, a snow blower that made it to the #2 spot of our all-time top 5 list. That already makes it a winner and clearly a great choice, but lets get into it and see what this model has to offer!
Snow blower engines will either be 1-stage or 2-stage. While you can find well-built, quality models with either stage, you’ll want a 2-stage motor if you are tackling heavier snowfalls or larger areas. A dual-stage motor will tear and grind the snow and ice before sending it to the discharge chute, making it more effective for all types of snow.
The ST224P packs the power of a 208cc, 4-stroke, 2-stage engine generating 9.5 pound-feet of torque and an impressive 6.3 horsepower, giving it the strength to take on snow and ice up to 2-feet high. And, both the gearbox and impeller are made of cast iron to withstand the temperature extremes for many years.
It has an electric-start so you won’t have to worry about any dead batteries on those sub-zero mornings. Just plug the snow blower in and push a button to start it. There’s also a pull-start option, just in case you wake up with no power and need to dig your way out.
Its friction-disc transmission gives you the capability of six different forward speeds and even has a reverse function for getting into and out of tight spots.
Having the versatility of the different speeds is ideal for handling different types of snow and ice. If it’s a light, fluffy snowfall, you can use any speed for a quick clean-up. But for the heavier snows, the lower, slower-running speeds make it much more effective.
The ST224P is so easy to use. It almost drives itself.
Husqvarna designs all of their products with a high focus on convenience and usability. From the master panel equipped with large, glove-friendly control knobs, you can easily maneuver the trigger-controlled power steering feature which can even handle sharp, 180 degree turns. Or you can turn the power steering off and control the snow blower manually.
The ergonomically designed, wrap-around handle will adjust to four different heights, and it’s even heated to help keep your hands a little warmer on those really cold days when you’re out there for a while.
You can even adjust the direction and distance of the discharged snow with the deflector control arm on the handle. And the gear controls are right at your fingertips along with the adjustable shoe control lever.
There’s also an idle function on the engine, so you can set it on low without turning it off if you need to stop for a minute and move away from the machine to take care of something else. That’s a nice feature for those especially cold days when you are concerned about battery power.
The overall design is what really impressed us the most. It’s almost like the designers thought of just about everything when they were putting this show blower together.
- The 12-inch, performance ribbon auger is strong enough to cut through the thickest ice and heaviest snow.
- The intake housing has a clearance width of 24 inches with a height of 23 inches, allowing it to eat its way through some of the deepest snowfalls.
- The deflector chute rotates a full 180 degrees at the touch of a switch, directing both the height and distance of the discharged snow to get it out of your way easily. And, it’s strong enough to blow it up to 35 feet away, sometimes even further, depending on the weight of the snow.
- The ST224P is equipped with 15-inch by 5-inch, X-Trac, heavy-duty tires, and just like everything that Husqvarna is known for, they’re designed for performance. The tread is durable enough to get through the deepest snows and keep you from sliding on the ice.
- The track-driven propulsion system, along with the power of the auger will almost glide it through the snow and ice on its own, with you simply walking behind it and guiding the steering.
- The dual, LED headlights are a big plus. They will make clearing the snow much easier, after those late-night storms or in the early morning, dark hours. They are strategically located so they don’t cast any shadows from the snow blower that could block your vision.
- Having adjustable shoes mean that you can change the distance from the ground where it touches the bottom of the snow blower. This comes in really handy if you are dealing with thick ice or mounds of snow that you need to get the machine over.
- The 2.7-liter gas tank holds almost a gallon of gas, and its fuel efficiency allows that gallon to last long enough for most cleanups.
- While snow blowers are known to be loud, the advanced muffler system makes it much quieter than some other models. It runs at about the same decibel as a small lawnmower.
- There’s also a convenient tool already attached above the auger’s housing to help safely clear out any clogs in the rare event that they happen.
- Husqvarna also uses and air-snow-mixture technology. As the auger digs its way through the snow and ice, it mixes in the air before it’s propelled through the discharge chute. This feature makes the snow blower run more efficiently with fewer of the clogs that can be caused by heavier snow.
It is a big machine. But in all honesty, you really need some size when it comes to powering through deeper snowfalls and bigger areas. It measures about 58 inches deep by 24 inches wide and is 40 inches tall, making it fall in the mid-size range for snow blowers with comparable features.
But you do get the advantage of it weighing less than 200 pounds, making it much easier to move and navigate. And you can still find a corner in your garage to safely store it after the season is over with until you need to use it again next winter.
The manufacturer also stands behind their products in a big way. It’s backed by a 3-year limited warranty and a 5-year warranty on the performance of the engine. They also take a great deal of pride in the responsiveness of their exceptional warranty service department, showing how much they value their customers.
The snow blower comes at a high-end price point but handles everything you throw at it and easily lives up to its price. When you purchase a snow blower designed and manufactured by Husqvarna, you have the confidence of their countless years of experience and knowledge that is put into all of products. And you know that you’re buying the best quality available at the most affordable price.
- Husqvarna’s quality is unrivaled in the industry.
- It’s simple to operate and easy to maneuver.
- The power steering function means that it can be operated with one hand.
- The electric starting feature is a big plus.
- It’ very effective when dealing with hard-packed snow and ice.
- The length of the warranty is a great feature.
- You can also buy accessories to enhance the performance of the ST224P like a snow thrower drift cutter kit that enables it to tackle larger drifts as well as a fitted, heavy-duty protective tarp for storage.
- It can take a little time to fully assemble. But for a minimal charge, it can be put together for you.
- The heated handle is a nice feature. Unfortunately, if you’re wearing good gloves, you won’t feel much heat.
- You’ll want to buy a low-temperature extension cord.
- The reverse gear is a little slow.
The ST224P ist one of the finest snow blowers we have ever come across and ideal to clear even several feet of snow throughout the winter season.
You get the power of a 208cc, 2-stage engine equipped with an electric start so it will always be ready to go, even on the coldest mornings. The transmission gives you the functionality of six different forward speeds and even has a reverse mode, enabling you to tackle all types of snow and terrain. And the intake housing will blow through a path that’s 24 inches wide and is able to take on drifts as high as 2-feet.
It’s designed to make the job easier with the over-sized levers and knobs on the user-friendly control handle that change the speed, directs where the snow will land, and adjusts the shoes. And the power steering is a big plus.
The ST224P is also built for performance and durability. The solid, cast iron construction will resist a lot of the corrosion and rust that plague some other models. Its cleated tires and the technology of the track-driven propulsion system make it almost glide through the snow and ice. And, the LED headlights will lead the way during those darker snow-blowing times.
Adding the value of the warranty, the quality that Husqvarna is known or, and a price point that makes sense, this may just be one of the top snow blowers on the market overall.
If you’re ready for a snow blower that may very well be the last one that you will ever purchase, this could be the ideal one for you. You may find other models that come with a cheaper price tag, but you won’t find another comparable snow blower that has the features or the high-quality design that the ST224P has to offer for the price.
But don’t just take our word for it. Check the link below and take a good look at what other people are saying about this model.
Husqvarna has been making high-quality products since 1689 when they began manufacturing and selling rifles. They would later add sewing machines, cast iron kitchen equipment, and bicycles to their production line. Husqvarna is now recognized as one of the largest and most well-renowned manufacturers of outdoor power products in the world.
That’s an amazing 330 years of experience. Husqvarna has earned a reputation for maintaining their focus on providing superior quality, durability, and high-efficiency in all of their products while still being able to deliver them at an attractive price point. That’s a pretty impressive track record of taking care of customers.
bestvacuumpethairguide.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.
Two Stage Snow Blower
- 24” Width, 23” Height
- Electric Start
- 208cc Engine, Power Steering
- 180° Remote Chute Control